Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Closet Switch

Ah, May is here, and it was 80 degrees yesterday. Time to put away the winter clothes. Ugh.

Do you dread the seasonal closet switch like I do? You know, hauling bins of clothing up from the basement and sorting, washing, and packing away the stuff that has been in your closet. Of course, the coming addition to our family means that I had to haul out the maternity clothes, too, and pack away the summer stuff that already doesn't fit to make room in my dresser and closet.

So this year I decided to do it right and went and bought four more storage bins--one for overflow sweaters, one for my son's outgrown clothing, one for clothes he has yet to grow into, and one for my husband. I was proud of myself for thinking ahead and writing down the brand and size that I needed. If there is one thing I've learned from this dreaded project, it's to try and have bins of the same size and brand, with sturdy lids. Even if they are the same size, different brands make different shapes and that makes them frustrating to stack. You just have to label them since they all look alike.

Normally, this would also be the time when I carefully review what I didn't wear much, what didn't fit, and what I was just plain tired of looking at; that stuff would be donated at the thrift shop. However, since I don't know what my post-baby shape will be, I'm hanging on until fall. Then I imagine I'll be getting rid of a lot of things! (I realized that one of the shirts in my closet is still from high school. That's thirteen years ago. Maybe it's time to say goodbye?)

I once read a great tip about how to decide when it's time to part with a piece of clothing. The author suggested that you start the season with all your hangers turned around (so the hook came toward you instead of the wall). As you wore an item and rehung it, you then hang the hanger the right way. At the end of the season, you could honestly assess what you didn't wear at all by looking at the hangers. I'll confess I've never done it--possibly because I don't have too much trouble parting with things--but I like the concept a lot.

What do you do that makes this project easier? I need ideas since I haven't perfected the process.

ps-Interestingly enough, my pastor talked this week about Americans being overfed and overclothed. This whole post is testimony to that. And, if you are one of those folks who doesn't have to switch out their closet because your closet is big enough to hold all your clothes, I don't want to know about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment