Thursday, May 17, 2012

No More Cooking Spray Buildup!

I want to give a shout-out to the friendly, frugal and helpful community over at TheFrugalGirl.com.

The other week, Kristen posted my question about how to clean cooking spray buildup off my Pyrex bakeware. I received several helpful answers from her and her readers. You can check out the original post here, but here are the suggestions:
  1. Use good old-fashioned elbow grease and an SOS pad.
  2. Make a paste of baking soda, salt and water as a mild abrasive to clean off the residue.
  3. Soak the dish in boiling hot water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap.
Though I didn't use an SOS pad, I did use the hand-sewn nylon "scrubbie" from the talented ladies at the Mennonite retirement home. If that didn't work, I'm not sure another scrubbing pad will.

The hot water and Dawn worked quite well, though I was awfully nervous about burning myself or breaking the glass. There are so many warnings about extreme temperature changes with Pyrex that I don't want to risk it.

So, I choose option #2. Now, if only I knew about that paper cut on my finger and had put on a pair of gloves BEFORE the searing pain. What they say about rubbing salt in a wound is no joke!

Hopefully this post is helpful if you're an over-zealous cooking spray user like myself. If not, I'd love to hear what you grease your pans with, and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment