Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Decluttering the Catch-All Cabinet

Haven't we had some beautiful weather this past month?

It seems like spring puts everyone in a good mood and gives us a little more energy. (I wonder why that is. Maybe because we aren't using that effort to keep warm?) This is the time of year when I get the bug to do spring cleaning. The brighter sunlight shows off the neglected corners and the fresh air beckons me to hang sheets on the line.

One of my recent projects was decluttering a cabinet that lacked a clear purpose. You may remember that we eliminated our office to make a nursery for the baby. Well, this cabinet became the dumping ground for a lot of things that no longer had a home.

Before: Lots of randomly arranged office supplies, gift supplies that needed to be put away in another room, travel toiletries in a drawer, and some photo frames/albums that I didn't know what to do with. (Please excuse the smudges on the photo. Those are courtesy of my toddler touching the camera lens.)

After: Neatly segregated office supplies (personal and for a non-profit ministry), a photo album area, half a shelf for the toiletry stuff that doesn't fit in the bathrooms, and neatly organized drawers (one for overflow toiletries and one for photo frames). Oooh, and even an empty shelf!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a crafty or clever idea what to do with photo frames that you don't use anymore? We are doing more photo collages that hang on the wall since those can't be knocked over by kids or pets. I'd love to hear your ideas.

p.s. for the curious: this jelly cupboard is the one item that I chose to salvage from a centuries-old farmhouse that was in my family. I'm not an antique-y kind of girl, but this was simple enough that I thought it would fit with my decor. If you like the pottery on top, visit http://oakleafpottery.com/ or  http://crowhillpottery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment